My Mom came out last night and stayed over. She came to pick up a quarter of beef for her freezer and it was nice to visit. This morning her, Brian, and I were chatting. “So what do you do around here when you’re not canning and freezing all that food,” she inquired. I laughed. Brian made a comment that all I need is a good book and I don’t complain much. True, I’ve spent many hours lately curled up under my heated blanket with a book or the computer. I suppose it is okay to relax. After all, there are only a few months of the year when that is even an option around here! But still, there is a lot that needs doin’:
- Do the budget for January. This is our third month on a full budget and the third time had better be the charm!
- Along with the budget I want to make up some kind of visual aid for our savings progress. Maybe a thermometer type chart to go on our fridge. We’re done paying for the new barn so – now we get to start saving for a semi trailer – then we can FINALLY tackle the debt! Can’t wait!
- Work on the newsletter/order forms for the farm. I want to get those out this month or next.
- Finish cleaning the basement. Brian did a lot Wednesday night but the electrician starts Monday morning and we have a ways to go before he can walk around down there without tripping on something.
- Tackle the mountain of clean laundry that needs attention.
- Draw up some ideas for a windbreak for the big cattle. We bought some new calves and they stole their spot in the barn. (pics coming soon, I promise!)
- Umm, I could clean the house, like mop and sweep again, but that’s really an ongoing project.
- Go through my seeds and get organized for spring. I don’t think I need to order a lot this year. Last year I had good luck starting seeds under a light in the house but I had a lot of trouble hardening them off gradually. Any thoughts or ideas? I do want to expand the garden but I’m going to focus more on the main crops that we need all year instead of many little plants that don’t provide much food. Wish I had a greenhouse!
- Along that line – I should sit down and make out a list of goals for the year. Last year was the Git ‘Er Done list. This year we’re going is so many different directions it will be a fw different lists: financial, farm/business, house/buildings, personal, etc. I’m waiting for Brian’s input on this.
This list is so long, I’m stopping here! Guess it’s time to pick something to do instead of talking about. How are you burning through your Saturday? I’d love to hear about it – any excuse to “relax”! 😀